Thursday 20 October 2011

THE GAP - A RANT

There are high street shops that I buy things from all of the time; Zara, Whistles, Topshop, H&M, ASOS, New Look, River Island.

And those that I don't; Warehouse, French Connection, Office, Next, Miss Selfridge, Mango and...Gap. 

Let's talk about Gap. In my youth Gap was one of THE places to shop. It was classic Americana at a good price, always innovative (the ads! can you remember the ads!) and with great simple cuts. But as the high street got more and more fashion conscious Gap began to look a little bit old hat and then Abercrombie took the all American look and did it much, much better (this was the late 90's / early 00's). Gap tried to be all cool at times...despite the fash pack harping on about the Pierre Hardy for Gap shoes each season you rarely actually saw them in store (the only pair I ever bought were in a charity shop about 6 months down the line). No, for me the store stayed the same as I remembered at the age of 16, which isn't a good thing in high street retailing unless you are Marks and Sparks. 

So it must have been quite some time since I have handed over any cash in Gap when I popped into the Oxford Street branch with my Mum a couple of weeks ago. She likes the linen shirts when they're in the sale but it was me who ended up buying. It's just a super simple sale priced £9.99 tee shirt dress but the fabric is lovely and stretchy and it fulfils all my chuck it on and go needs. So, please, c'mon Gap. Let's get back to real basics. Be proud of your denim, chinos, white shirts and sportswear. Go classic. Get good. Make me want your stuff again. I challenge you...





Dress - Gap 
Necklace - Whistles 
Tights - M&S
Boots - Carvela from Kurt Geiger  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...