Saturday 17 July 2010

French Dressing



I went to Paris yesterday to see the YSL retrospective and the Irving Penn 'Tradesmen' exhibition at the Henri Cartier Bresson gallery, with a boozy lunch in between. It was well worth the whirlwind day, but utterly exhausting. I had time on the way back to the station to buy some macaroons, try on some stuff in Isabel Marant, mooch around YSL and Givenchy (sadly no new season stuff is out yet so it's all a bit uninspiring...I want the A/W collections!) and stock up on French toiletries at a supermarket and Sephora. 


The YSL retrospective is jaw dropping. 400 couture dresses spanning over 50 years in one place. The range of his work slightly overwhelms (you can't take photos either, so your brain goes into overload trying to remember all the details), but for me the magic was really the last room - a huge space given over to 50 or so ball gowns worn by mannequins organised like they are mingling at the world's best dressed party EVER. 


I'd love to post pictures, but blogger is in a mood with me today and failing every photo I try to upload. 


Cardie - Whistles 
Shirt - T by Alexander Wang 
Jeans - Topshop 
Boots - NW3 by Hobbs
Bag - Laduree, of course. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...